Is there a charge for online courses and if so how much?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Yes. You are charged the tuition rate of the campus from which the course is originating. Various fees also apply, as well as cost of textbooks and/or study guide. With the exception of the LIB courses from UMA, students taking online courses who are not residents of Maine will be charged out-of-state tuition rates. If you have any questions regarding the cost of a course, please call our UC Learning Services at 1-800-868-7000 or (207) 621-3408 or e-mail UCLS.

Does financial aid cover ITV and online courses?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

In-state students: Yes. However, you must be enrolled in a degree program within the University of Maine System and the course must transfer into your degree. If you are taking a course that is not originating from your home campus, you must contact your financial aid office to fill out any paperwork that may be required to transfer financial aid. If you are enrolled in a degree program from an institution other than the University of Maine System, you should talk with your financial aid office about the possibilities of your financial aid covering these courses.

How much time will this course require?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Online courses require as much or more time as “traditional” courses. Even though you won’t have to attend class sessions (typically three hours a week), plan on spending about as much time reading, viewing lectures, and participating in on-line conferences. Additionally, you’ll have to complete assignments as you would in a “traditional” course. You’ll have to pace yourself, as these courses require that you stick with a regular schedule for completing assignments, taking tests, etc.

I’m convinced that an asynchronous course will work for me. How do I find out more about courses? How do I register?
Visit our University College Website for a complete listing of online courses and registration information.

To register, call the UC Learning Services Center at 1-800-868-7000 or visit a University College Center near you.

I plan to use my own computer. What hardware and software do I need?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

For the best online experience, a broadband connection to the Internet is recommended. Many Internet Service Providers (ISP) throughout the state offer connections through Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) and over cable modem systems.
If you do not have broadband service now, the Maine Office of the Public Advocate maintains a rate and coverage guide with comparisons of local services at

Your computer hardware should meet these minimum recommendations:

Microsoft: Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
Mac: Mac OS 10.4.8+ (Intel-based) (PPC-based NOT supported)
Processor: 1.8 GHz or higher
Memory: 512MB or higher

Supported Browsers
Internet Explorer® 8, Firefox 3.6, Safari 4.0

Internet Explorer 9 and Chrome 9 are not supported at this time.

Software requirements for online courses will vary according to the subject of study. However, a word processing program can be considered essential. Specific course requirements will be part of the syllabus.

I don’t own a computer. Where can I get access to one?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Computer labs are available at University campuses and University College Centers. In addition, ITV receive sites throughout the state have a limited number of computers for use by students. If you are considering use at a site, check with the site coordinator to find out the availability of computers in your area.

University College and receive site locations.

Some courses use software applications that are not available at sites but are available at University College Centers. Be sure to check the Course Information for courses that interest you.

Where can I get technical support?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Call the numbers below for help with the following:

  • how to use one of the software applications listed above
  • technical problems with site and University College Center computers
  • the login process (login names, passwords, login problems, etc.)

You are responsible for setting up your home computer.
For help with:

BlackBoard, site and Center computers:

UNET Technical Support Center.
Hours: 7am to 7:30pm Monday – Friday
1-800-696-4357 (HELP) (toll-free)

WebCT and First Class:
1-877-947-HELP (toll-free)
Hours: 8am to 5pm Monday – Friday

How can I learn the computer programs I need for my course?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Use our online Computer QuickGuides. If you plan to do your work at sites and University College Centers, step-by-step instructions are available and staff are glad to assist you.

If you’re not yet an experienced computer user, we suggest you take an adult education course at your local high school or a workshop at a University College Center near you.

Depending on which course you take, the computer applications you will need to learn may include the following :

  • Web browser (Firefox 3 or above or Internet Explorer 6 or above)
  • Blackboard (a Web-based program for delivering content and for on-line communication)
  • WebCT (a Web-based program for delivering course content and for on-line communication, used mostly by University of Maine faculty)
  • E-mail program
  • First Class (a computer conferencing and e-mail program at the University of Maine)
  • listserv (an electronic “mailing list”)Listed below are practice activities to get you started learning some of these tools.
  • BlackBoard Course Info practice course (login to Blackboard and choose the Courses tab at the top of the page, click the Blackboard Practice Site in the Course Catalog column)
  • FirstClass (login as ‘fcdemo’, password ‘fcdemo’)
What computer skills do I need?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

You should be comfortable with your computer’s operating system, whether you’re using a Macintosh or Windows computer. This includes such things as where to find files on your computer, how to save files, formatting disks, etc. You should be comfortable using a word processing program. You should also be able to use a Web browser and an e-mail program.

A few specialized courses may require advanced computer applications (spreadsheets, for example, in certain accounting courses) or may require you to download and install plug-ins (for example, Real Player or QuickTime) in order to access streaming audio and/or video clips. These courses are identified in the printed and online course listings, and detailed specifications will be listed on course Web sites.

Check your computer’s multimedia capability.

How will my work be evaluated?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Online courses use some of the following methods for evaluating student work: research papers, short papers, projects, exams you take at home, on-line participation, and occasional field-based assignments (field placements, etc.). If your course requires that you take proctored exams, you’ll take them at a site or University College Center within a four- or five-day “window” noted on your Course Schedule. (You’ll need to contact Teleservice at 1-800-868-7000 before or during the first two weeks of the semester to arrange to have your exams sent to the location where you’ll be taking them.)

Because room and proctoring staff availability varies widely across the system, not all sites and University College Centers may be able to administer exams on all days noted in the Course Schedule. It is your responsibility to contact the staff at your site or University College Center to schedule your exams.

How will the course be taught? How will I communicate with my instructor and classmates?
Expand AnswerHide Answer

Online courses incorporate a combination of teaching methods and instructional technologies which may vary from course to course: DVD lectures, discussion using a computer conference or a telephone conference, private communication using e-mail, research using the library and the World Wide Web, learning activities on the Web, and printed course manuals. You’ll communicate using e-mail, online discussion boards, and, in some courses, virtual chat.