University System Library Cards
A valid University of Maine System library card is required to request books through URSUS and to access online journal indexes and databases. Library cards may be requested online or by calling 1-800- 339-7323 In-Maine or 1-888-266-4950 Out of State. It may take a week to process your request, so please apply for your card early in the semester. If you have not received your card within ten days of submitting an application, please contact our office.
Library cards must be reactivated if you do not register as a student for consecutive semesters.
If you need help narrowing a topic, doing in-depth research, finding resources, answering a quick question, or tracking down a citation, please utilize our Live Chat with a Librarian (accessible at the top right margin of this webpage), Email-A-Librarian Service, or call the OCLS office. The Off-Campus Library Services staff can provide long distance reference service tailored to your research needs from the simplest question to the more complex research project. Let us know how we can help you!
Off-Campus Library ServicesMaine Toll Free#: 800-339-7323 Nationwide Toll Free#: 1-888-266-4950 Fax #: (207) 621-3354 Direct Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
46 University Drive
Augusta, ME 04330-9410
Many articles are available in the indexes and databases as full text (the complete article is included). These can be printed from your home or office, giving you immediate access. Some are just citations (all the information needed to locate the article). These can be requested from the Off-Campus Library Services (OCLS) office. Fill out one Article Request Form/ILLiad Document Delivery for each article and submit online. (It may be helpful to print the citation so you have all the information needed to fill out the form.) Articles will be sent to you electronically at no cost to you. Information on ILLiad and the one-time registration can be found here.
Articles not owned by the University College’s home library will be requested from other libraries and may take from one to four weeks for delivery. Please plan ahead and allow ample time for interlibrary loan requests.
Books and other circulating items can be requested through URSUS, the University of Maine System online catalog.
Please follow the procedures outlined below in order to obtain items available in the URSUS online catalog. Remember that a valid University of Maine system library card is required to request material. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- From the Off-Campus Library Services homepage, click on URSUS, the online library catalog.
- Search by title, author, keyword, subject, etc.
- When you find a book or document title you want to request, click on the “REQUEST” button.
- Enter your name and barcode number in the boxes, as prompted. In the campus/center/site location box select your campus/center/site and click on the “Submit above information” button.
- Once your request has been properly submitted, you will receive the following message on the screen: “Your request has been successful”; you can now return to the list of other citations, or you can “START OVER” at the main menu.
The materials will be sent via delivery service or UPS to the pick up location you selected in step 4 above. The loan period will be for four weeks, with an additional two-week renewal available upon request. Please contact the staff at the pick-up location to check if your materials have arrived for you. Please allow 3-5 business days for your books to arrive. Contact Off Campus Library Services if you experience a delay in delivery.
- View your Record. Enter your name and barcode number in the spaces provided, and then click the Display Record button.
- Click the link that shows how many items you have checked out.
- You may click the Renew All button, or check the box next to individual titles and then click Renew Selected Items.
You should check to see that the item was actually renewed, with a new due date. Sometimes an item cannot be renewed because it is overdue, another person has requested it, or it has been renewed too many times. If an item cannot be renewed, it should be returned to the library. You can also request renewals through the OCLS online renewal form or by calling our out-of-state toll-free #: 1-888-266-4950.
Return books to any University of Maine campus or center/site on or before the due date. You will be billed for overdue books and non-return of library items and your borrowing privileges will be blocked.
Need Help? Email us or live chat with us from the top right of this page!