Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
University of Maine at Presque Isle
The Psychology Program at the University of Maine at Presque Isle provides students with a strong grounding in the science of mental processes and human behavior, while allowing them to sharpen their skills through one of two capstone experiences – a practicum or an advanced research project.
Degree study in Psychology leads to the Bachelor of Arts degree. All Psychology majors complete six foundation courses, seven additional courses selected from two specified sets, and the senior capstone experience. There are 39 credits in Psychology required for the major.
Upon completing the Psychology major, students will:
- Understand the wide variety of career options in psychology and related fields, including clinical and counseling positions.
- Have the necessary background for graduate or professional training in psychology or related fields.
- Understand and interpret quantitative as well as qualitative psychological data, including statistics.
- Understand and practice common research methods such as surveys and experiments.
- Understand and apply principles of ethics and respect for individual, social, and cultural differences in psychology.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Raymond J. Rice
Download Psychology program requirements (pdf).
Available fully online minors include: English, History, Psychology. Your advisor can help you to develop minors in many other disciplines, incorporating courses from UMPI as well as the other University of Maine System institutions.
Application Procedures for all Students
- Each applicant for admission is required to submit a completed University of Maine System Application Form accompanied by a $40 non-refundable application fee (U.S funds). Forms can be obtained from the Office of Admissions or from most high school guidance offices. Each applicant must arrange for the forwarding of secondary school transcripts to the Admissions Office.
Applicants may also fill out the online Application For Admission.
- Applicants with a record of attendance at a post-secondary institution must request the forwarding of their official transcripts from each institution attended for all work un-dertaken.
- Letters of recommendation and a brief essay may be required of applicants.
For more information, please visit the UMPI admissions webpage.
Tuition is charged at the rate of the university offering the course. These rates can differ substantially among the campuses of the University of Maine System.
View the current tuition and fee schedule for the University of Maine at Presque Isle here.
Visit the UMPI Financial Aid webpage for complete information about the aid process.