State of Maine Special Education Certification
University of Maine at Fort Kent
The State of Maine Special Education Certification program will create an environment for optimal learning that emphasizes knowledge, values, and experiences by integrating these with teaching, learning, and service within our academic discipline while maintaining our program’s ethical and unique practices.
The mission of the State of Maine Special Education Certification program is to educate and empower teachers with the tools necessary to respond to the future demands of education. By preparing you to become a reflective scholar, instructional leader, and global educator, UMFK prepares you to serve a key role in a profession that is progressive and improving. By satisfying the certification requirements students will be qualified as state-certified in Special Education.
- The State of Maine Special Education Certification program provides an educational background for students interested in obtaining an endorsement in Special Education.
- Function: This endorsement on a teacher certificate allows the holder to teach children with disabilities and to consult with teachers, children, and parents.
- The endorsement specifies the applicable grade levels kindergarten through grade 8, or grade 7 through 12.
- Eligibility: Applicants shall meet the eligibility requirements through the pathway listed below under certification requirements.
- Individuals who are not eligible for this pathway may be eligible for a conditional certificate. See webpage of eligibility requirements.
For more information, contact the program coordinator: