Western Maine Scholarship Recipient Studying at UC Norway/South Paris

SOUTH PARIS – The University College Center in South Paris is very pleased to announce that Marina K. Slover, a Bachelors’ in Social Science student from Woodstock, has been awarded a $1,250 Western Maine Scholarship for the Fall 2017 semester.

The Western Maine Scholarship is a competitive fund.  According to Director, Lisa MacDonald Cooper, “Beyond meeting the qualifying criteria, Marina wrote about her goals and desire to help those in her community, especially those struggling with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.  She clearly sees the needs we have in Western Maine and the State in general, saying that, with Maine being the statistically oldest state in the nation, we need to focus more attention on providing early onset diagnosis and continuing care for those affected by mental health in the later stages of life.” In her qualifying essay, Slover wrote: “Living in a rural community, it is easy to see the areas that slip through the cracks. After graduation, I hope to fill in one of these. It has always been my long-term goal to provide some form of counseling to those in need. It is my immediate hope, upon completing my bachelor’s degree, that I will go on to receive the necessary certifications to become a Licensed Recreational Therapist. It is my belief that by creating a medium that is interesting and comfortable for those I am providing services, that I will succeed in helping someone with whatever comes their way.  In continuing my education, I plan to seek a Master’s in Social Work and focus my attention on geriatric psychology.”

“I’m very excited to be able to help Western Maine students achieve their educational and career goals,” continued Cooper.  “This scholarship shows the commitment community partners have to supporting and reinvigorating our regional economic strength.  We want talented people, like Marina, who live in Western Maine to stay here and contribute to its overall health as a community.”  Cooper is a working member of a non-profit development group called Maine West, a partnership of local and regional organizations dedicated to addressing systemic rural challenges and enhancing community well-being in Western Maine.  Thanks to her work with that group, the Western Maine Scholarship Fund was established at the University of Maine at Augusta in 2016 with a gift from the Betterment Fund and Maine West.

The resulting Western Maine Scholarship is currently available to UMA students attending the University College Centers in Rumford or in South Paris who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours (sophomore standing).  Two $1,250 scholarships will be awarded each Fall and Spring semester the fund is available.

University College has a system-wide mission to provide centralized services to students and faculty engaged in online and distance programs offered by the campuses of the University of Maine System. University College operates Centers at Brunswick, East Millinocket, Ellsworth, Houlton, South Paris, Rockland, Rumford, and Saco which allows students access to over 100 certificate and degree programs from the University of Maine System. Students access the resources of campuses while studying online, at their local Center, or pursuing a mix of online and traditional classroom instruction while staying close to home.