Your one-stop source of information about online and distance degree and certificate programs offered by Maine’s public universities.
Search Distance Degree Programs. Live where you learn and online!
English as a Second Language
University of Southern Maine
Online ESL Certification
- 100% Online
- Literacy, Language and Culture Program
- 15 credit hours
- Start any time
- Connect me with an Admissions Counselor
The Online Certificate of Graduate Study in English as a Second Language (ESL) provides a foundation in English language learning for teachers, educational technicians, adult educators, school administrators, and international teachers. Apply today.
The program provides:
- A flexible path to learning for those who prefer not to complete the requirements for a master’s degree
- A certificate from the Literacy, Language and Culture Program
Our post-baccalaureate program is based on the TESOL Professional Teaching Standards, which emphasize:
- Planning, implementing, and managing instruction
Flexible, online graduate certificate
Our online format enables you to continue working as you complete your certificate requirements. Take classes any time, from anywhere, at your own pace. You can even combine your online learning with classes on campus. Apply today.
Outcomes and opportunities
After completion of the program, you will be able to plan effective instruction for English language learners and may earn state endorsement in ESL if other requirements are met. Our program graduates pursue careers and professional experiences such as:
- Literacy specialists
- K-12 and adult education ESL teachers
- ESL program directors
- Title 1 directors
- English as a Foreign Language teachers
- Peace Corps volunteers
For more information, contact Program Coordinator:
Visit Program Webpage: http://usm.maine.edu/tesol/certificate-graduate-study-english-second-language