Your one-stop source of information about online and distance degree and certificate programs offered by Maine’s public universities.
Search Distance Degree Programs. Live where you learn and online!
M.Ed. in Special Education – High Incidence Concentration
University of Maine
This program, which requires a minimum of 36 credit hours, leads to state certification as Teacher of Students with Disabilities (282) (K-8 or 7-12). The program prepares master’s level special educators to serve students in the areas of reading, math, writing, and challenging behavior. In addition to the UMaine Graduate School application criteria, applicants must demonstrate satisfactory scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators and successful completion of an introductory course in special education or adapting instruction for students with disabilities. All courses require fieldwork so candidates must be working or volunteering in K-12 schools.
- Earn an NCATE-accredited degree from the University of Maine
- Learn from experienced faculty who are leaders in the field
- Practice collaborating effectively with co-teachers, family and other service providers
- Experience multiple perspectives through case studies, simulations and reflective exercises
- Complete your coursework anywhere through our innovative online format
- Submit your application with **no GRE or MAT requirement for admission into the program **For students demonstrating an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and above.
For more information, contact Program Coordinator:
Deborah L. Rooks-Ellis, Ph.D.