University College

Your one-stop source of information about online and distance degree and certificate programs offered by Maine’s public universities.

UC, Statewide 7 Campus Course Search

Courses and programs from each of Maine’s 7 Public Universities


National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

Click here to see if University of Maine System campuses are authorized by your state.

Search Distance Degree Programs. Live where you learn and online!

Programs Filter

Special Education

Master’s Degree

University of Southern Maine

Teaching Exceptional Children

USM’s Online MS in Special Education is designed for both experienced and aspiring teachers. Our students include:

  • Current general education teachers
  • Specialty area professionals such as occupational therapists and special education teachers
  • Those holding a bachelor’s degree who are seeking a new career in special education teaching

The program offers two concentrations: Initial Certification, designed for new teachers, and In-Service, designed for certified educators.

  • Initial Certification: Teaching Students with Mild to Severe Disabilities.  Prepares students for two special education teaching certificates: Teacher of Students with Disabilities K-8 and 7-12 (Maine 282) or Teacher of Students with Severe Impairments K-12 (Maine 286). Requires student teaching. Apply today.
  • In-Service: Special Education, and Gifted and Talented Education. Requires teaching in a teaching position and professional teaching certification. The flexibility of 24 elective credits enables students to tailor their program to their own special education environment. Apply today.

Flexible, online master’s program

Our online format enables you to continue working as you complete your degree requirements. Take classes any time, from anywhere, at your own pace. You can even combine your online learning with classes on campus. Apply today.

Outcomes and opportunities 

Our graduates are prepared for special education teacher positions, K-8 and K-12.

Transfer or complete your degree

If you are completing your graduate degree as a transfer or returning student, please contact an Admissions Counselorwho will help you get started. Apply today.

For more information, contact Program Coordinator:

Visit Program Webpage:

← Back to All Programs