Hosting an intern requires thought and planning. Before you proceed, please consider the following:
- How would you like to use an intern in your organization?
- What academic background and skills would you like the intern to have?
- Will this experience allow students to develop the skills associated with their career goals? Will it involve a variety of experiences, rather than repetitive, busy work?
- Who will supervise the intern, help them to accomplish their learning objectives and complete any paperwork?
- What would be the duties and responsibilities of the intern?
- Will you offer an hourly wage or stipend? Although not required, compensation iis encouraged. For more information about the criteria for unpaid internships, see the U.S. Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act (www.dol.gov).